Question: When I pay for a lab, why can I only take it once?
It's a good question, and it's worth exploring. Every time you start an AWS lab, qwikLABS spins up an AWS account for you, along with all the resources you need to complete the lab. This is because you take your lab with a real account in the real AWS Console. The same is true for NVIDIA labs. You perform real tasks using real tools. That's why payment is by session.
What goes into a lab
- Scaling: We scale up and down based on what's going on at any given time. This helps us consume only the services we actually need to deliver labs to you.
- Distributing the load: Labs are distributed across geographic regions.
- Monitoring: In addition to automated monitoring, at any point in time, people are watching for spikes, system messages, and requests for assistance from students.
- Lean lab development: As with any product, a lot of work goes into creating a lab (cloud formation templates, process documentation, sample data, manuals, videos, and more). We wrap this into the agile development process (daily stand-ups, weekly sprints, and iterative releases).
Tips for getting the most out of your lab
Here are some tips for getting the most out of your lab experience:
- Save time by reading the lab manual and watching the video (if your lab has one) before you start hte lab.
- Read ahead to see if you need to download a tool (like PuTTY) or do some research before you start the lab.
- Open your Command Reference TXT file (if your lab has one). Have this ready to go so as you’re taking the lab, you don’t have to spend time going back and finding this file. (It also helps to copy/paste rather than try to re-type commands - one typo can mean 10 minutes of troubleshooting.)
- Subscribe! If you purchase an Advantage subscription, you have access to all the labs in the catalog, and you can take a lab as many times as you want. This is a new option, so you can read more about it here, and check out our pricing page to sign up.